North Northamptonshire based food blogger who is obsessed with good food and proper cooking. I'm part of the Midlands Blogging team for the BBC Good Food Shows. This is where I share my own recipes and carry out recipe development and product reviews for brands, including food and wines. Please contact me using the link below.

Thursday 21 August 2014

Plum and Almond cake with Bottlegreen Ginger and Lemongrass Syrup

I was kindly given some plums from a colleague's garden this week.  Being one of my husband's favourite fruits and deciding a few brownie points were in order, I decided to make a cake; just for him! (Well, ok, we'll all eat it too, but it's the though that counts, isn't it?). I love plums and almonds together and having recently been sent a range of Bottle Green cordials to try, I thought it was the perfect opportunity to combine them both with a twist in the topping, so here's what I made:


10 plums (or enough to arrange in the base of your tin)
Syrup:
10ml Bottle Green Ginger and Lemongrass cordial
10ml Water
10ml Muscovado sugar
Cake:
200g Butter
200g Muscovado sugar
4 Eggs
10ml Almond Extract
100g Plain Flour
10ml Baking Powder
100g Ground Almonds

1. Preheat your oven to 180C.
2. Line a 20cm/8" spring form tin with baking parchment (or use a cake tin liner, as I've done).
3. Cut your plums in half and remove the stones.
4. Arrange in the bottom of your cake tin, cut side down.


5. In a small saucepan combine the Bottle Green Ginger and Lemongrass cordial, the water and the Muscovado sugar.
6. Bring to the boil and boil for 3-5 minutes until reduced in volume and syrup-like.
7. Pour evenly over the plums then set aside to cool while you make your cake batter.
8. In a large bowl, add the butter, Muscovado sugar, eggs, almond extract, vanilla paste, flour, baking powder and ground almonds.
9. Cream together thoroughly for a few minutes until light in texture.
10. Spoon the cake batter over the plums and level the top.
11. Bake for 50-60 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
12. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
13. Invert the cake onto a plate and remove the parchment liner.
14. This cake can be served warm with custard, ice cream, clotted cream or cream. Alternatively allow to cool before serving.


The plums were a gift from a colleague's garden.  I often buy Bottle Green cordials personally, but was sent a box of 3 bottles to try, including Elderflower, Strawberry and the Ginger & Lemongrass cordial that I used in this cake.  I was under no obligation to develop a recipe using the Bottle Green cordials sent to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my site. If you cook any of my recipes yourself, then please remember to come back and let me know what you thought.

Thanks,

Rosie
x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...