300g Plain flour
1/4 tsp salt
450g Granulated sugar
5ml Bicarbonate of Soda
15ml Lemon Juice
325g Icing sugar
1. Heat the oven to 180C
2. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, sugar, eggs, bi-carbonate of soda, milk and lemon juice.
3. Set aside for 5 minutes, whilst you:
4. Heat the water, butter, cocoa and vanilla extract together until the butter has melted.
5. Add the butter and water mix to the bowl and mix well to combine.
6. Grease a 25x30cm deep dish.
7. Pour the cake batter into the dish.
8. Cook for approximately 25 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
9. Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool in the dish.
10. Melt together the butter with the water and vanilla.
11. In a large bowl, mix together the icing sugar and cocoa.
12. Add the water and butter mixture into the icing sugar and cocoa and beat until thoroughly mixed, with no lumps.
13. Pour over the cake and leave to set.
I chose to make this for my daughter's 13th birthday in a bundt tin. After cooking, I left it in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out on to a cooling rack until cold. It was then transferred to a cake stand and the fudge icing poured over the top. If you leave the fudge icing to set and cool for a few minutes you will find that it thickens up a bit and therefore coats the cake better.