North Northamptonshire based food blogger who is obsessed with good food and proper cooking. I'm part of the Midlands Blogging team for the BBC Good Food Shows. This is where I share my own recipes and carry out recipe development and product reviews for brands, including food and wines. Please contact me using the link below.

Monday 16 September 2013

Book review - No Waste Meal Planner, Becky Thorn

I met Becky a couple of years back when I first tasted some butter tablet that she made for an event held at Fortnum & Mason. That butter tablet brought back memories of being a child when my mum used to make it. We got chatting and she very kindly sent me the recipe and a surprise box of some of my own to enjoy.

We've met again a couple of times since and often chat on Twitter.  I was fortunate enough to be allowed to receive a PDF copy of her book 'The No-Waste Meal Planner'.  I enjoyed looking through it so much, I treated myself to a hard copy in June, but have only just got round to writing a review of it (one can never have too many recipe books, right?)


Through the book, Becky guides you through her 'meal chains'. From starting with a simple roast chicken, a few ingredients and several storecupboard staples. she will teach you how to turn the leftover chicken carcass into a stock to make a chicken risotto. Using the cold leftover risotto and adding mozzarella cheese and a sauce she helps you to create an Aracini with tomato sauce, before showing you how to use some of the leftover sauce and mozzarella to make yourself a pizza.

The book contains 20 'food chains' creating a total of 83 dishes. Now that's what I call getting the most from your food budget! She will also teach you what a storecupboard of essentials should contain to enable you to turn any dish into an exciting, tasty & nutritious meal.

Well done on a fantastic book, Becky! Looking forward to receiving your 'School Dinners' reprinted one (its in my Amazon shopping basket!) I can't wait to see if my Junior School dinner memories are contained in there so that I can create them for my own children.

You can buy your own copy of Becky's book from her website www.beckythorn.me.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my site. If you cook any of my recipes yourself, then please remember to come back and let me know what you thought.

Thanks,

Rosie
x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...