I've previously reviewed Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food book that I bought for my husband. There are several recipes in there that have become firm family favourites and that my husband often cooks for us; this recipe being one of them as it's quick, tasty and very easy to prepare. Leeks give a wonderful flavour to a meal - coming from the Allium family which includes the onion and garlic, their flavour is much more subtle and delicate.
This recipe is based on Jamie's from his book.
2 Large leeks
4 Chicken breasts
2tbs Olive oil
250ml White wine (if it's not good enough to drink, it's not good enough to cook with)
15ml Wholegrain mustard
300g Basmati Rice
Bunch fresh, flat leaved parsley
300ml Single cream
Salt & pepper
1. Put a large pan of lightly salted water on to boil.
2. Wash your leeks then cut them lengthways into quarters, from top to bottom, then slice across the stems (whites and greens) into 1cm thicknesses.
3. Cut the chicken breasts into bite sized pieces, approx. 1cm x 2cm .
4. Heat a large frying pan and add the olive oil and butter. Heat until melted.
5. Add the leeks, wine, water, mustard, salt and pepper.
6. Stir together then bring to the boil and cover loosely with a lid or foil.
7. Put your rice in your boiling water, stir once and return to the boil. Simmer uncovered for 10-12 minutes (according to packet instructions).
8. Chop the parsley, leaves and stalks, finely.
9. Add the chicken, parsley and the cream to the frying pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
10. Drain the cooked rice.
11. Add the juice of your lemon half to the stroganoff and stir just before serving.
12. Place a pile of rice on your plate and add a generous couple of spoons of the stroganoff.
Serve with a perfectly chilled glass of the white wine that you used to cook this dish with.
North Northamptonshire based food blogger who is obsessed with good food and proper cooking. I'm part of the Midlands Blogging team for the BBC Good Food Shows. This is where I share my own recipes and carry out recipe development and product reviews for brands, including food and wines. Please contact me using the link below.